Friday, March 28, 2008

Our Blue, Nest and Egg Powder Room

Since I posted pictures of the Queen's powder room it motivated me to get busy in my own. Powder rooms are such fun little spaces to decorate. Their small size alone allows you to be a bit more extravagant than you might be able to afford in a larger room and to use more color or pattern than you would in a room where you spend more time and may tire of all the busy decor.
The first project in fluffing up was to polish the silver which is a chore that I really enjoy because for just a bit of effort you get such instant gleaming results. Many people shy away from using silver because you do have to polish it or you end up with a very unkept appearance but with care it can add such sparkle to a dark spot that for me it's worth the effort.
This old print of a blond lady in a pretty blue dress holding a book is on a wall across from the mirror.
The water stains on this box didn't detour me from picking it up at Marshall's in the clearance section because I thought it would be useful to hold TP in tucked inside a cupboard.
All through our house we have a lot of found items that were bought for very little that we mix in with a few good pieces. This little needlepoint rug is one of those pieces.
If you read Life At Home often you have probably seen this little wall bracket that came from Franks Nursey's clearance section years ago and got a sprayed on coat of white paint. There are two of them on a wall by the sink that hold very inexpensive blue and white vases that have roses on them.
Another better quality piece that I got with my employees discount when I worked for Particia Wood is this hand made waste basket with the 3-D bow and hand painted plate with sprigs of lavender sitting on ivy and roses.
One of my most prized antique blue and white pieces is above the mirror with two smaller Asiatic Pheasant plates on either side of it. It might seem weird to have plates in a powder room but the pheasants on it kind of lend themselves to the bird and nest theme in there.
These three shallow bowls are from England but my old eyes can not make out the rest of the wording on the beautiful stamp of an urn with a bee skeep in it on the back of them. They are above the mosaic mirror below.
This mirror was a show gift from the Atlanta gift mart many years ago. The cost of having one made with mosaic all the way around was prohibitive so I asked them to just do the top and they kindly did a little painting around the rest. Unfortunately, I can not remember the show room where it came from. If you are a fan, like I am, of mosaic work Penny, at Lavender Hill Studio, does the most beautiful pieces that one day I hope to commission a piece of, you might want to visit her lovely site.
Here is my old silver tray set up for the convenience of guests that visit with Lady Primrose's Tryst cologne and hand cream in the monogramed silver lidded pot. The other jar is another piece that the owners left from our old house that holds individually wrapped Life-Saver mints.
This lamp with birds in flight included in the toile frabric is lit at night for guests convenience also.
These Robin's Egg soaps in the jar with the nest and eggs on it make it easy for guests to grab a fresh egg of soap if they need one.
Finally, a couple of years ago when we were on a road trip with friends up the eastern coast of Michigan on our Harley's we spent some time in a cute resort town where I picked up this little bird bell with three robin's egg blue eggs in it. It caught my eye first because it had a bird on it but the real decission to get it came when I decided it would be just the piece to tie my navy blue pieces in the powder room to the more blue green in the background of the wall paper that was about to be installed in there.

I am not a real interior designer, as many of you can tell from the riot of outlandish colors and patterns that have found their way into the ever evolving Greenbrier, but several people have asked me to share decorating tips so I hope you don't find my tour to be anything other than what it was intended. Homes are personal to all of us and a way to express our love and concern for our families and friends. Blogs seem to have taken over as a place to get decorating ideas that was once held by magazines and so many of you have given me so many wonderful ideas for making our house our home that I thank you all and hope you enjoy visiting here at Life At Home. Not that I'm bashing magazines, I still have my favorites and many of the contributors are also bloggers that we all love to visit, I love you all.

26 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:50 AM

    Good Morning Sue,

    I loved this peek behind the scenes, you have some lovely pieces !! Decorating ones home should be what pleases US, the ones that live there. I think you do it beautifully.

    I just discovered your daughter's blog, I wanted to leave a comment for her telling her what a lovely site she has, pls. convey, as I can't comment. (being anonymous)

    Have a wonderful week-end,
    Kathy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have the most "Fabulous Fluff Stuff" that I have ever seen! I'm drooling...you should be a designer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sue!
    I am head over heals in love with your powder room! From the silver to the print of the lady in the blue dress (love it!), to the toile lampshade with the fringe....

    Thank you so much for mentioning my name and my mosaics in your lovely post! Anytime you want me to create something for you, just let me know...I love doing commissioned pieces...
    Hugs,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my favorite rooms in your home. Thanks for the up close view and descriptions! Love - Sheryl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how lovely it is! Your treasures look amazing in this sweet space. The wallpaper is gorgeous!!
    You do create a most beautiful home.
    Hugs,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sue,
    I am so in love with your beautiful bird themed bathroom....it is breath taking....so elegant, serene, oh, what else can I say.....

    Every room I've had the opportunity to see just exudes charm and comfort.....

    Thank you for sharing....

    Please be in fervent prayer for Ronald..he is so very weak and discouraged and so is Dean....we are having special prayer at 9:30 tonight and 8:30 in the morning (Tuesday)....

    God Bless....Betty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sue,

    What is the name of your daughter's blog...I'd like to visit...Betty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing photos of your powder room. You have a natural eye and I always enjoy "peeking" into your beautiful home. Wonderfully personalized.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous8:17 PM

    Sue, Your home is absoutely beautiful just as you are. Have a wonderful Birthday on Tuesday, April 2nd.
    Love and Blessings,
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sumptious and girly, I love it! Especially the silverware and blue and white china.

    Anna :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. whoops typo *sumptuous*

    Anna :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a beautiful powder room. I love everything in it!!!
    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely powder room you have. The one thing I have always wanted in my own homes as been a special powder room for guests! So far, my guests must share a bathroom that is usually used by family members. Strange, even in this house, we have FIVE bathrooms but none of them is close to what I would call a powder room!

    You have done a lovely job with your home! I loved seeing what you have done.

    Blessings,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous3:27 PM

    Dear Sue,

    I just saw your blog listed on Homeliving Helpers blog, so I thought I would visit and I have had the most delightful time looking at your beautiful home and family. I have not got to read many of the post, but the beauty is so inspiring. It looks like we are 'Kindred Spirits' on decor and other things.

    I don't have a blog, but have been thinking of starting one.

    Blessings it you and yours,
    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous2:33 PM

    Hey Sue,

    I hope everything is okay in your neck of the woods !!!

    Kathy ;0

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous2:33 PM

    Hey Sue,

    I hope everything is okay in your neck of the woods !!!

    Kathy ;0

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love it all! Love the wallpaper!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous3:42 PM

    I love, love, love that wallpaper! It all looks very pretty!

    Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sue,
    I commented on this beautiful powder room a day or so after you posted....guess it didn't go through....I don't remember what I said but suffice it to say it was all good.....

    Hope all is well with you and your family....

    Ronald keeps losing ground...he now has an infection in his bones, continues to have the feeding tube....does not look good. Please continue to pray for him if you will....God Bless...Betty

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely! I enjoyed seeing all your pretty stuff...

    Have a great weekend!

    cielo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for sharing this beautiful room with us!! Love, love, love that wallpaper!!

    You've done an excellent job of conveying a feeling of comfort and luxury.

    If I walked into that room, I'd have one word....Stunning, my dear.

    Bertie
    Aunt May's Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi, just discovered your blog on My Romantic Home, thank you for the beautiful prayer for fathers! Amen, I agree! I loved your thoughts on magazines and blogs and have to agree, the magazines are being bought out by large corporations and I think the blogs have women who inspire, decorate and are by and far a better "read" then the mag's! Thanks for the beautiful blog, bless you, have a great weekend! Donna Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi, just discovered your blog on My Romantic Home, thank you for the beautiful prayer for fathers! Amen, I agree! I loved your thoughts on magazines and blogs and have to agree, the magazines are being bought out by large corporations and I think the blogs have women who inspire, decorate and are by and far a better "read" then the mag's! Thanks for the beautiful blog, bless you, have a great weekend! Donna Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sue:

    Loved the tour of your beautiful powder room. I love silver but hesitate to decorate with it. Thanks for the inspirtation to get some of my pieces out and run with it.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  25. My goodness Sue! That is the most beautiful powder room I have ever seen! This is muchbetter than a magazine.
    Glad to see tha you are back blogging again too.
    Rhondi xo

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sue - absolutely gorgeous!! I especially loved the mosaic frame of the mirror, all of the silver and crystal and the plates on the wall. SO lovely.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I so appreciate it when you take the time to leave a bit of encouragement.
Hugs,
Sue