Friday, March 02, 2012

Ina Garten Homemade Chicken Stock

Good morning.  There is a big pot of homemade chicken stock (see above) simmering on the stove and the smell is delicious.  It is kind of a welcome home smell for John who has been out of town for a few days.

Yesterday on my way home from up north I stopped at Whole Foods to get groceries.  I knew I wanted to make some stock so I checked my Iphone for Ina Garten's recipe to make sure we had all the ingredients needed.  Well, for the life of me I couldn't find it.  As a result I am going to post it here then pin it to Pintrest so I am never without the recipe again.  I make stock occasionally just using what I have but I picked up Ina's, "barefoot contessa ~ how easy is that?, cook book at TJ Max the other day and wanted to try her recipe.  I have one other barefoot contessa cook book and found her recipes in it to be scrumptious.

homemade chicken stock
(Anybody know why she doesn't capitalize anything?)

Makes 6 Quarts

3  (5-pound) roasting chickens
3  large yellow onions, unpeeled, quartered
6  carrots, unpeeled, halved
4  celery stalks with leaves, cut in thirds
4  parsnips, unpeeled, cut in half (optional)
20 sprigs fresh parsley
15 sprigs fresh tyme
20  sprigs fresh dill
1  head garlic, uppeeled, cut in half crosswise
2 T  kosher salt
2 t  whole black pepercorns

Place the chickens, onions, carrots, celery parsnips, parsley, thyme,
dill, garlic, salt, and peppercorns in a 16-20 quart stockpot.  Add 7 quarts of water and
bring to a boil.  Simmer uncovered for 4 hours.  Strain the entire contents of the pot through a colander and discard
the solids.
Pack in quart containers and chill overnight.  Refrigerate
for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 3 months.

3 comments:

  1. discard the solids? Dang!
    That's the best part! I always eat everything but in your case I wouldn't eat the outside of the onion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. discard the solids? Dang, that's the best part! I always devour the chicken and veggies, but in your case I wouldn't eat the skin on the unpeeled onion. Just my opinion.

    Clark

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks delicious! I will have to try it!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I so appreciate it when you take the time to leave a bit of encouragement.
Hugs,
Sue