Saturday, February 07, 2009

Kitchen Work Horses

I wish there was a little drawer in the front of my kitchen sink to keep scrubber's and my dish brush in but there isn't. This spotted mint julep cup keeps it handy. It is an inexpensive cup from Two's Company that we used to carry at the shop. It gets a good washing often and an occasional swipe with silver polish but the finish on it is pretty well worn off which I really don't mind.
This blue and white hand soap dispenser is a real work horse in our kitchen. It came form my favorite junktique shop in Petoskey and cost very little. Today while scrubbing around the sink area I replaced the pump that goes to it with one from another bottle of liquid hand soap. This pump works better in it than the one that was in it before because it has a thicker stem that lets the heavy soap come out better.
Before Christmas I replaced my old dish soap dispenser with this new springy looking one. The painting was chipping off of the old one that I had had for about 8 years. These things are really handy and look decent to keep your dish soap in on the counter top. If you can find one I highly recommend them. You crafty girls could probably make them but let me warn you that the gals from the store that tried to recreate them their selves had a hard time getting a bottle topper that would work for them. They did come to the conclusion that the bottle itself was a Miller HighLife beer bottle in case you want to give it a try.
This is a random picture that down loaded when I put in my kitchen work horse pictures so I thought I would share it here too. The tip here is parsley storage. We use fresh Italian parsley in almost everything that gets cooked around here. In the spring, summer and fall it grows in the back yard in pots but during the winter it comes from the market. To preserve it, clip the tips of the stems off when you first bring it home and put it in a cup of water. Then take a large baggie and slit one side of it to make a tent to cover the parsley and pop it into the refrigerator. Change the water every few days and it can last up to 2 weeks if you haven't used it all up.
Have a great Saturday with the ones you love.
Hugs,
Sue


12 comments:

  1. OH I love the blue/white soap dispenser!!! It is gorgeous....I love blue/white, but don't really use it in my house. One day I will. I wish it was available in red/white...do you know?
    And the parsley tip? Ingenious! Thanks for sharing!

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your soap dispensers are pretty and I love the mint julep cup! A couple of years ago I used birthday money to buy a new kitchen faucet. It also has a soap dispenser which is wonderful! I have enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the cup your parsley is in in your fridge! What a beautiful way to store your herbs in there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I'm a first time visitor and I love your blog!
    Your photos are so beautiful and you can be sure I'll be back.
    Oh, I'm from SE Michigan too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sue, you even have a stylish soap dispenser and your fridge interior is appealing. I would not show you the inside of my fridge right now - ha! Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog! Have a great wknd and stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the new ideas. I have a little syrup pitcher by my sink that I store my brush in and it works well. Have a great weekend.
    Lorri

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:56 PM

    Very nice.
    Sue in Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous2:25 PM

    Hi Sue,

    When we put in our new kitchen we added the drawer in front of the sink...it really IS a nice feature.

    Great idea about the herbs I will have to try that...I buy them fresh at Wholefoods, chop them up and freeze them.

    Have a nice Sunday,
    Kathy :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous6:50 PM

    When we put our new farmhouse sink in, I actually found a brush with a little suction cup on it at IKEA and I didn't buy it. I think I will have to go back and get it. Your little cup is a great idea!

    Hugs,
    LeAnn:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great tip on the parsley! Loved your previous post on the blue & white - you have so many beautiful things! Love - S

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the parsley tip! Who knew!

    Have a great day, Denise

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, thanks for the parsley tip. Never thought of that.
    Your blues are so pretty.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I so appreciate it when you take the time to leave a bit of encouragement.
Hugs,
Sue